Monday, May 5, 2014

Bandung Week 9


Hello Everyone,

Well, this week was not too interesting, and we did not do too much. But it sure did go by quickly, and I am in disbelief that the time is going by this fast. Elder Mangum and I continue to get along great, and we work really hard together. I have seen him improve a lot while I have been here, especially with his language and teaching skills. Hopefully we will continue to work hard before he moves! Here are a few cool experiences from this past week.

The main reason that we did not do too much this past week was because of Elder H. being really sick. He gets a strange pain in his head, so President Donald told us to go to the Hospital. I went with him, and they checked him out, finding nothing wrong, so they prescribed some stronger pain medication to help. So this week we have been taking turns with who stays at home with him, and then the other two go out and work. So I only really worked a few days this week, but there were still some good appointments. Hopefully he gets better soon.

One of the appointments I went to was with Elder Loudon, visiting Samba, a young member. He is a really cool 14-year-old guy, and even though his family is not yet members, they fully support him in being active in the church. While at his house, we visited a lot with his father, who is a great guy. He was very smart, and we had a wonderful discussion and lesson with all of them there. They were even nice enough to take us home with their car, instead of us having to take public transportation home.

I am really getting closer to the members here in Bandung. Since there are not that many, it feels more like a family than a branch. After church yesterday, they had some food, and we all had choir practice. I’m still not that great at singing, but I do enjoy it more than I used to. Our Branch will be singing for Stake conference in Jakarta, and I think it will be good.

One cool thing that I was able to accomplish this week was finishing the Bible. I had made a goal when I was in the MTC to read all standard works of the church during my Mission. And not just read it, but ponder, mark and understand more fully with the help of study guides and such. Now, that goal has been completed. It has taken my entire Mission, with me finishing the Book of Mormon, D&C, and Pearl of Great Price while I was in Solo, and starting the Old Testament more than a year and four months ago. It has been a great experience, and I am so glad that I feel a love for the scriptures. If I can do it, you all can for sure as well. As I was finishing yesterday, reading in the book of Revelation, I really like the description of the happiness we will feel from what God has prepared for us. Especially in Chapter 21, verses 3-4. I know if we work hard and endure to the end, we will receive this rest and joy at the last day.

Thank you for all your support, and I hope you have a great week!


-Elder James

This is hard to see, but it is a police riot group getting ready after the elections.
People get crazy here with politics, and it is mixed with religion a lot.
The elections for their representatives just finished
and later this year the president will be elected.
But, don't worry - I didn't see any serious riots, just protesters.
The police were just being careful.
Elder Mangum sleeping with his bible on his side
and a bouncy-ball on his stomach. He is so funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment