Monday, December 16, 2013

Yogyakarta Week 17


This is the Winoto Family. I love this picture because I look so big!

Hello everyone!

Well, Transfers were announced a few days ago, and I am not moving! I was so worried on Friday and Saturday that the Assistants would call, but once Sunday morning rolled around, I knew that I was not moving at this point! I am so happy that I will be able to train Elder Sadiyono until he is done with the training program, and that I can continue my service here in Jogja. This has been my favorite city, and I am so glad that I am here for a long time! Anyways, this week was pretty regular, but there were a few cool things that we did. Here are a few highlights.


After we emailed last Monday, we went as a District to the Winoto Family's home in Klaten. They wanted to have a family home evening (in the afternoon) before Sister Manullang moved to Malang. We took a bus there as normal, and had a fun time. They served us food, and we had a short lesson. They are such a nice family, and they are basically pioneers in Klaten. One day a branch will be built there hopefully.

Some of our investigators
As far as appointments go, we were not that busy, but we still were able to meet with many of our Investigators. The problem many of them face is not acting on what they know to be true. I wish they could just see the kind of blessings this gospel brings. It is easy to get discouraged when others do not do their part, but we have to remember that they have their agency, and there is nothing we can do to change that. Remembering that is an important part in this work.


I am starting to buy a few things for Christmas, and this is the perfect city, because there are tons of places to shop! One cool item I found was an old coin from 1945, before Indonesia became independent. It is Dutch on one side, and Javanese on the other. I found it at a Batik store, and it was only about $1.50. I thought it was pretty cool. They had a bunch of old paper money as well, including a 1 rupia note, which is worth .01 cents now, but the bill is rare, so it is expensive now. Pretty funny.


My companion and I are still getting along great. I honestly feel like he is my little brother or something. When you train someone, the trainer is considered a father, and the trainee a son. Training is such a cool thing to do. Maybe I will get the chance to do it again on my Mission.

I got my family's other Christmas package, which I can only open on Christmas day. It was really hard not to open it right away! When a Missionary gets a package, it is one of the best things to happen. I am so grateful for a caring family!

Well, sorry this is fairly short, but we are going hiking in Magelang with the Elders there, so we had to quickly email before leaving. Thank you all for the prayers and support you give me. I hope you all have a great holiday season!

-Elder James

A typical Indonesian meal; Lele (catfish) with rice, chili sauce and vegetables. 

Sometimes I put his bike up there; he loves it!

This tree gave us starfruit, but our landlord wanted us to cut it down.

The watches I've bought during the mission

No comments:

Post a Comment